Many healthcare professionals in secondary and primary care have an interest in menopause.
A menopause specialist is a healthcare professional with a special interest in menopause demonstrating expertise in managing more complex cases and receiving external referrals.
British Menopause Society Recognised Menopause Specialist definition
A BMS recognised menopause specialist is defined as a healthcare professional who:
- has obtained the Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare (FSRH)/ British Menopause Society (BMS) advanced certificate in menopause care;
- has completed the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (RCOG)/BMS advanced training skills module (ATSM) in menopause care; or
- has completed an equivalent qualification (e.g. the menopause and premature ovarian insufficiency module of the subspecialty training programme in reproductive medicine)
- is a member of the British Menopause Society;
- attends a national (BMS) or international menopause society (e.g. International Menopause Society, European Menopause and Andropause Society) scientific conference at least once every three years;
- provides a minimum of 100 menopause related consultations per year, of which at least 50 are new; and
- is responsible for ensuring that the specialism is documented in their job plan and is discussed and recorded at their annual appraisal in the UK or Ireland.
Menopause Principal Trainers
BMS recognised Menopause Specialists are eligible to apply to the Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare to become Menopause Principal Trainers.
Applying for recognition
Complete the online application and attach your CV and evidence of training. Successful applicants will be sent a certificate. If there is any uncertainty as to whether or not criteria are met, the application will be reviewed by the BMS Medical Advisory Council. Decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis and at their discretion.
Recertification is required every three years, when Specialists will be asked to confirm that they still fulfil the criteria.