Many healthcare professionals in primary and secondary care have an interest in menopause.
A menopause specialist is a healthcare professional with a special interest in menopause demonstrating expertise in managing more complex cases and receiving external referrals.
BMS Menopause Specialist definition
A BMS Menopause Specialist is defined as a healthcare professional who:
- has been awarded the BMS Advanced Certificate in the Principles and Practice of Menopause Care; or
- has completed the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (RCOG)/BMS advanced training skills module (ATSM) in menopause care; or
- has been awarded the Faculty of Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare (FSRH) Advanced Certificate in menopause care; or
- has completed the FSRH Community Sexual & Reproductive Healthcare (CSRH) curriculum, obtaining the Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT), or has reached the equivalent standard as assessed by the GMC and been awarded a CESR in CSRH; or
- has completed an equivalent qualification (e.g. the menopause and premature ovarian insufficiency module of the subspecialty training programme in reproductive medicine)
- is a member of the British Menopause Society;
- attends a national (BMS) or international (e.g. International Menopause Society, European Menopause and Andropause Society) menopause society scientific conference at least once every three years;
- provides a minimum of 100 menopause related consultations per year, of which at least 50 are new; and
- is responsible for ensuring that the specialism is documented in their job plan and is discussed and recorded at their annual appraisal in the UK or Ireland.
BMS Menopause Trainers
All BMS menopause specialists are eligible, and encouraged, to apply to become BMS Menopause Trainers.
The BMS Principles and Practice of Menopause Care (PPMC) training programme has been developed to address the increased demand for menopause education and it is critical that sufficient BMS menopause trainers are registered to enable the fulfilment of the programme.